Monday, January 10, 2011

T.D.I.H. - Jan 10

Three very talented rock stars had their birthday on January 10. First was Jim Croce, a particular favorite of mine, in 1943. I first listened to Jim on an 8 track tape that I inherited from my father. I played that album (Photograps and Memories) over and over, and can still sing along to every song on the album. Sadly he died at the age of 30 in a plane crash. His most famous song is probably Bad, Bad Leroy Brown (embedded below) but I love songs like Operator and New York's Not My Home. One of the things I like about Jim is the fact that he sounds just as good live as he does recorded.















The second muscian is Pat Benatar who was born in 1953. Pat was originally expected to sing classical music, and was accepted to Juillard. I spent much of my high school years listening to her. She did an episode on CMT's Crossroads in which she teamed up with Martina McBride, and they sang each other's songs and sang together. I would have killed to be in that audience.







The third was Michael Schenker who was born in 1955. He and his older brother Rudolf were founding members of the Scorpions. He left the Scorpions for UFO, and then eventually his own band, The Michael Shenker Group. Over the years he would jump back and forth among these three bands.





No comments: