Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Day After

The Day After was one of those semi-hyterical apocalypse movies that came out in the 1980's. For some reason the Sci Fi channel showed it tonight. I remember watching it at the time and thinking how dumb it was. Some quick thoughts:

1) I was surprised at how many famous actors were in it, many before they became famous, some on the downslope of their careers. All the cars and clothes look ancient.

2) It's amazing how heavy handed the propaganda is. Completely unsophisticated. The Left could do much better now.

3) The main message was supposed to be that the US was going to provoke a war if they insisted on stationing Pershing medium range missiles in Europe. Well President Reagan did move forward with those plans, and history has shown us who was right, President Reagan or the appeasement Left. But at least one thing is consistent, the Left is still blaming the US for the world's troubles.

4) When this movie came out, I was living on a NATO first strike base. (meaning the Soviets had targeted the base for destruction with chemical and nuclear weapons during their first series of attacks) I regularly saw and participated in drills that simulated such an attack. I actually had nightmares of dying in such an attack. But even as a teenager at the time I knew enough to reject the idea of appeasement, and completely supported President Reagan. I had to put up with the morons from the CND (campaign for nuclear disarmament) picketing in front of my base. We had tactical aircraft, A-10's stationed there. The A-10 is incapable of carrying nuclear weapons.

5) Crap like this makes me appreciate movies like Dr. Strangelove all the more. Even with Dr. Strangelove I oppose the message, but at least it is well done.

No comments: