Friday, November 18, 2005

Dump the U.N.

I used to be a big fan of the United Nations. I participated in the Model United Nations both in high school and college. In fact in high school I participated in International MUNs in London and The Hague. I believed it played a vital role in managing the world's problems.

I did have some problems with the UN, like the fact that the US was paying far more dues than any other nation, and that the USSR had two votes in the General Assembly. But I thought in the balance that it did more good than evil. I no longer believe this.

The UN has become a cesspool of corruption. Third world diplomats enter the UN penniless and leave as millionaires and billionaires. Billions of dollars are wasted and stolen every year. Atrocities such as Sudan are ignored. The only useful services that the UN currently provide can be done more efficently by other NGOs.

Kofi Annan has finally destroyed the UN.

No comments: