Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Luck of the Irish to ya!

No, you aren't imagining things, I'm actually writing on my blog. Did you ever get a craving for a chili cheese and onion omelet at 5:30 A.M.? I did. Ummm ummmm good.

There are two reasons I haven't been writing on my blog. The first is my addiction to World of Warcraft. ( I think 4 hours plus a night is an addiction) The second is the fact that I read lots of other people's blogs, and comment on them. By venting on other perople's sites, I really deplete my need to write here. I'm going to try and be better, but we all know how that went last time.

One of the things that has been bugging me lately is ambulance chasing lawyers and their commercials. I am currently off track (on vacation) and usually have the TV on in the background when I am at home. I can't tell you the number of commercials I have had to endure that feature some law firm trying to gin up business for a class action suit against a drug, or surgical procedure or some environmental factor.

Look I know we need lawyers to redress wrongs. But the system has broken down. No instead of lawsuits to correct wrongs, we have lawsuits to enrich law firms. Folks if they can afford to put on the number of commercials I'm seeing, they are making upwards of tens of millions to hundreds of millions of dollars on these things. For all I know, they're billing the cost of these commercials and they aren't even coming out of the law firm's profits.

These law firms make huge profits from these class actions suits, and the plantiffs get a pittance. It is not unusual for a law firm to make millions and the average plantiff to get less than $1000. Much of the time the lawyers create a huge class of plantiffs, harass the target and end settling in such a way that the lawyers make millions andthe plantiffs practically nothing. I know, i've been a plantiff in a couple of lawsuits by default, and gotten a coupon while the lawyers got a new house, car and office, plus the resources to go find another plantiff class.

One of the major reasons health care is so expensive today is these lawsuits. First the insurance for doctors goes up to pay for defending and settling these lawsuits, so doctors have to charge more for their services. Secondly, doctors end up ordering unnecessary tests in order to cover their ass. Of course, now that's not even safe, since I just saw a commercial trying to create a class action about MRI tests.

We need to close about half of the law schools in this country.

No comments: