Sunday, July 01, 2007

Racism

I got called racist again today. This time it was because I think everyone should be treated equally, and I want to end race based preferences. (Yes, I know it doesn't make sense to me either.) It happened online, and I will never meet the person making the insult, so it really shouldn't bother me, but it does.

I mean how can you defend youself from such a defamation? If you deny it, it quickly turns into a childish "Am not" "Are too" argument.

If I respond with facts from my life (My best friend is a Black man married to a White woman, my three closest co-workers are two Black women and another Black man married to a White woman, in college my closest friends at USC were an Iranian-American and a Black man and at Cal State a Hispanic woman and her White eventual husband) I sound like I am making the tired old "some of my best friends are Black" argument.

It's just extremely frustrating and I wish I could come up with an effective response.

No comments: