Friday, September 29, 2006

Minor Tragedy

I caught one of my students cheating last week (she was really sloppy) and confirmed it by using a fake answer key today.

She's a good kid, and pretty smart. She didn't need to cheat, and I'm not even that mad about it.

But what is really depressing is that she is refusing to admit it. (and I have her dead to rights...the evidence couldn't be more damning.) She has given tearful denials now to her parents and another teacher. In fact it is her denials that are probably going to see her kicked out of leadership at school. (the teacher she tearfully denied it to is her leadership advisor, but I've shown him the evidence, and there is no doubt in either of our minds)

So now I'm starting to feel like a shit for busting her. My friend the leadership advisor is upset, hurt and disillusioned by the false denials, the other leadership kids are going to be upset if she is kicked out of leadership (and I have about 20 of them in the class), her parents are upset, and the student in question is upset.

Yet another way that teaching sometimes sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gahrie,

Sent this as email, but didn't go through, so I'm posting it here. You can delete after you get it, or leave it up for your readers to know they're welcome to this offer, too.

I noticed your comments at my place, so thought I’d respond here. If you're looking for visitors who will stick around, read your stuff, and come back for more (aren't we all), perhaps you'd be interested in a blogroll link exchange with me. I link to my fellow bloggers as often as I can when they're on my blogroll, and I have something of an open community here that you may enjoy being a part of. My readers like to read comments and make their own, and this often entices them to visit other blogs, hence expanding their list of favourite blogs.

If you’re interested, drop me a line and we’ll do a blogroll exchange.

Thanks,
Sam