Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Tombstone

I just got through watching the last 25 minutes of Tombstone again. In my opinion, it's a pretty good version of the Wyatt Earp story, infinitely better than the Costner version, Wyatt Earp, that came out a year later.

I am generally not much of a Val Kilmer fan. I couldn't really tell you why...I've just never liked him much. However, his portrayal of Doc Holiday is masterful. He definitely deserved an Oscar nomination. I mean, just look at the nominations that year:


TOMMY LEE JONES in "The Fugitive", Leonardo DiCaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?", Ralph Fiennes in "Schindler's List", John Malkovich
in "In the Line of Fire", Pete Postlethwaite in "In the Name of the Father"

Out of that list the only one I would place above him is Fiennes, and the only one to equal Kilmer would be Malkovich. Di Caprio? Tommy Lee Jones? That's just embarassing that there were nominated for those performances. (of course Di Caprio got the nomination via the patented "play a retard" route.) Then For Tommy Lee Jones to win it? For a second rate movie adaptation of a TV series? A crime.

Kilmer's Holiday is one of my favorite all time performances. I'm not a big movie quote geek, but I use some of his lines all the time....especially "I'll be your huckleberry". (nobody seems to get it however.....am I the only one who ever saw this movie?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you writing again.
1)Tombstone and Val Kilmer are good. Don't forget the line, "Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?" line to Billy Bob Thornton. Classic.