Friday, March 04, 2011

T.D.A.T.M. - Mar 4, 1990

The number one movie in the U.S. on this date was The Hunt For Red October. The movie starred Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan and Sean Connery as a defecting Soviet sub captain. This was the first of the movies based on the Ryan-verse books written by Tom Clancy. I am a big fan of these books, and have read all of them several times. As far as I am concerned, Harrison Ford really captures how I imagine Jack Ryan to be, and Anne Archer was simply perfect as his wife in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger. That being said, I think Alec Baldwin does a good job in this film. However, Ben Affleck was a horrible casting choice for Jack Ryan in The Sum of All Fears. I have never seen that movie in its entirety, but what I have seen is a travesty. I really wish they had changed the name of the movie, because it really had little to do with the book beyond the basic premise and a few plot points.

No comments: