Tuesday, June 27, 2006

There has got to be a better way

I just had my computer fixed, and they had to re-install windows. This wiped everything off my computer. I play an online game called City of Heroes (City of Villians also). This means that even though I reloaded the games from my CDs, I still have to endure hours of downloads (of the expansions and patches) before I can play. We are talking quite literally about days worth of downloads. I started the City of Villians downloads (the newer game and thus much fewer patches and expansions to download) at 7:00 PM last night, and they're still going. Hell I would have paid $10 to get expansion discs to avoid all of this. (the patches and expansions would load much quicker from discs .. less than an hour)

4 comments:

Fred Mangels said...

You really need broadband for playing those online games. That's one of the reasons I gave up on dial up.

Aces High, is my game, a ww2 air combat game. It seemed just about every other time I went to play, there'd be another update or upgrade. I have a defective modem on this computer that would start out pretty fast but quickly degenerate to as low as 4k. Drove me nuts.

Now, with DSL, I don't even notice the downloads, even when I installed the game on my laptop.

Another thing you can do is have a friend download the updates to a CD for you, although I'm not sure how that would work with the updates as they go straight into the game.

When I first started with Aces High it would have taken me days to download the game with a 56k modem. I called a friend with a cable modem and he downloaded the game to a CD for me in six minutes.

Gahrie said...

I have DSL..That's how big these downloads are!

Thom said...

no Gahrie, you do not have DSL. You have a cable modem. Sheeeesh!!!

Fred Mangels said...

If you have broadband, and it still takes that long for the download, I'd find a different game to play. That one takes up too much space on the hard drive.

Either that, or the game site itself has a real slow connection and broadband doesn't do any good when they're slow.